Thursday, April 12, 2012

Netflix has NOT Formed Pro-SOPA PAC

Several stories began to hit the news over the last 48 hours that DVD-mailing and TV/Movie streaming service Netflix has created a new PAC to support the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).  The story was circulating rapidly because of the enormous popularity of Netflix and the fact that SOPA is one of the most universally hated pieces of introduced legislation in recent memory.

Forbes and other are now reporting that the story is not true.  While Netflix has created a new PAC, it has nothing to do with supporting SOPA.

From the Forbes article:

Netflix has issued an official statement saying that neither SOPA nor PIPA is behind their formation of the PAC. 
“PACs are commonplace for companies that lead a big, growing market and Netflix is no exception. Our PAC is a way for our employees to support candidates that understand our business and technology.  It was not set up for the purpose of supporting SOPA or PIPA.  Instead, Netflix has engaged on other issues including network neutrality, bandwidth caps, usage based billing and reforming the Video Privacy Protection Act.”

This is good news.  I love me some Netflix.  I hate me some SOPA.  If a service that I loved as much as Netflix was going to support something I find as evil as SOPA then I was going to seriously have to consider dropping them.  For now, it looks like that's not going to be something I have to consider.

1 comment:

  1. Well after all the flack they took last time, I doubt they’d come out and say they’re supporting something like SOPA. And sure, there’s not evidence that this is a pro-SOPA PAC right now, but with Netflix’s originally pro-SOPA position, and there history of making the least-logical decisions possible, I don’t know how anyone could just write this off. Now I’m not saying Netflix is a bad service, but don’t you think all that money they’re feeding lobbyists would be better used to get better, newer, and more content? I’m just happy my money isn’t funding this. I switched to Blockbuster @Home months ago, after a coworker of mine at DISH, told me how much better they liked it. And I’m happy I did, not just because of this PAC nonsense, but because I’m a gamer, and Blockbuster @Home includes video game and movie rentals by mail, along with the streaming, so I feel like I’m getting a lot more for my money.

    ReplyDelete